Thursday, January 5, 2012

Music Room Artwork {Part 1}

I am a band nerd.  Seriously.  I played in the band from the time I started 7th grade until I graduated college.  My major, you ask?  Music.  Yep.  I am that cool.  I have now been playing the flute for 15 years and I still love it.  I get to use my flute training as a teaching tool now and I love being able to teach all of my students.

The flute is played in the treble clef. If you aren't sure what that is, basically it just means where the notes played in the higher range are written. 

****If you are still reading, I think I should tell you that you don't have to be a music nerd to appreciate this project.  It can be adapted to any shape and size. ****

The reason I tell you all of these things is so that you will understand why I chose a treble clef sign to decorate my music room with. 

On to the tutorial.  You will need:
Foam Core
Envirotex Pour on Resin 
Exacto Knife
Paint

I began by sketching a trable clef sign onto my foam core.  You can faintly see it in the photo.... if you squint.


Next, I painted the treble clef sign black.


You will then use your exacto knife to cut out the shape and then paint the sides.


The next step I don't have a picture for because I didn't want resin on my camera. (go figure)  But you just pour the Envirotex resin over the top of the foam core and then let it sit for like a couple of days. (Follow the directions on the box.  They are pretty easy to follow.)


Once it's dry, hang it up on the wall and enjoy.  I really love the way it turned out.

Pin It!

1 comment:

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

Very cool Jonie! And I bet the resin gives it a much more substantial feel. It looks awesome
xoxo,
Amy