Sunday, September 12, 2010

Candy Corn

Candy Corn is cute.  Just thought I would throw that out there.

I have been seeing a lot of people making candy corn around the blog land, and thought I would make my own take on it. 

I used a 1X6 piece of scrap wood and a scrap of beadboard to make these.

The hardest part was cutting them out.  I almost lost a finger (ok, not really.  But what if I had? That would be the worst!)  When I had finished with the cutting, the round parts weren't really round and they definitely didn't look like candy corn.  I was a little discouraged (which is why I didn't take a picture of them.)  Even my husband asked me what they were.  Bad.

Before I could give up on them, I decided to try sanding them down.  As luck would have it, it worked.  It took an enormous amount of sanding to get them to the right shape, but I persevered and..... success! 

After I sanded, I painted them and then added an antiquing paint over the top to make them look a little more rustic.  Then I sanded the edges so a little bit of the white beadboard would show through.  Add a little bit of rafia and ta-da! 


I know just where I am going to put them.  It is actually a big project I have been working on.  (it's not fall or Halloween related I swear)  You won't want to miss out on this one!  I just finished it last night and will be posting about it tomorrow.
Pin It!

5 comments:

Prilla said...

Super cute!

Teresa Jones said...

Oh.oh.oh! I'm makin' me sum a dat! So cute, Jonie.

Annie Rosdahl said...

SOOO CUTE Jonie! I love them! you wanna make some for Me?

Heather H said...

I LOVE THEM!!!

Erin @ In Between Laundry said...

very clever--I love these!

www.inbetweenlaundry.blogspot.com